Monday, March 4, 2019

Ready to do more travelling and looking at the area I will be headed toward. So I see a couple of unusually named places there. There have been many strange names for towns during this trip, mostly original Maori. However, sometimes this can lead to a bit of awkwardness...
Can't make this stuff up.



Then, the longest name for a place anywhere in the world - 85 letters! I discovered it's not a town, but the name of a hill & is said to translates roughly as "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his kōauau (flute) to his loved one". Now normally anything over 1,000 ft is a mountain (this 1,001 ft) but here it's just a hill.












2 comments:

  1. I've seen this somewhere before...looking stuff up. Dave J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seen the long name, that is...
    TE PUKE? heh...and to think...I like Kiwi fruit...Dave J.

    ReplyDelete